26.2 C
Accra
Sunday, May 24, 2026

No ‘kenkey and waakye parties’ over Ghana’s IMF programme exit – Mahama chides NPP

Date:

- Advertisement -
President John Dramani Mahama has taken a swipe at the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) over what he described as premature celebrations after Ghana exited previous IMF programmes, insisting his administration would remain focused on rebuilding the economy instead of organising kenkey and ‘waakye parties.’

Speaking during his “Resetting Ghana” tour in the Savannah Region on Friday, President Mahama said that although Ghana had successfully concluded its IMF programme and is awaiting the final tranche of over $300 million, the country’s economic recovery remained incomplete.

“The country has been under the IMF until last week, when Ghana concluded its programme, awaiting a final release of over 300 million dollars. We’re not going to have a kenkey party because we believe that it is still a work in progress,” the President stated.

Also read: Political affiliation won’t shield anyone from legal accountability – Majority Whip

In an apparent jab at the previous NPP administration, Mr. Mahama said his government is taking a more cautious and realistic approach to economic recovery.

“Unlike others who left the IMF and held waakye and kenkey parties, happy to be free from the IMF. We are not doing that because we know that the economy still needs a lot of work to be done,” he added.

The President expressed hope that Ghana would avoid future dependence on the International Monetary Fund for economic rescue packages.

“I hope that this is the last time that Ghana will go to the IMF for a bailout. We must be able to manage our affairs in such a way that we don’t go cap in hand begging anybody to come and bail us out,” he stressed.

President Mahama made the remarks after commissioning the Yamoransa Model ICT Lab in Damongo, a project supported through the Helping Africa Foundation. He noted that the facility aligned with the government’s broader B-STEM agenda to strengthen science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education.

The President later paid a courtesy call on the overlord of the Gonja Kingdom, Bii-Kunuto Jewu Soale I, where he assured the Savannah Region of equitable national development and infrastructure investment.

At a community engagement session, several ministers highlighted ongoing government interventions in education, recruitment, and infrastructure development.

Education Minister Haruna Iddrisu assured residents that food shortages in senior high schools had been addressed.

“The senior high school students here know that under President Mahama, there is no food shortage, and no school will be closed down because the GES is struggling to supply food,” he said.

Interior Minister Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak also announced progress regarding security recruitment processes.

“I can assure parents and guardians that next week the results of the medicals conducted will be released, and His Excellency has intervened with the Finance Minister to double the intake,” he stated.

Meanwhile, the Roads and Highways Minister urged contractors handling abandoned road projects in the Savannah Region to return to the site, assuring them of payment under the Mahama administration.

“Please go back to the site and do your work. President Mahama is encouraging you not to be scared that when you work, you will not be paid,” the minister said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING