29.2 C
Accra
Sunday, November 30, 2025

Israeli PM Netanyahu requests pardon in ongoing corruption trial

Date:

- Advertisement -

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu formally requested a pardon in his long-running corruption trial, arguing it was in the “public interest.”

In a letter addressed to President Isaac Herzog, Netanyahu wrote that his trial has become “a focal point of fierce controversy” for which he bears “broad public and more responsibility, with an understanding of the overall ramifications of these events.”

Netanyahu said it was in his “personal interest” to prove his innocence in the ongoing trial, but “the public interest dictates otherwise.” The letter was submitted on Thursday and publicized on Sunday.

As Israeli head of state, Herzog has the sole mandate to issue pardons. His office confirmed it received the request, and Herzog would “consider it with great care and responsibility.”

In the one-page letter, Netanyahu does not include an admission of guilt or make any commitments about his political future. He has repeatedly proclaimed his innocence on charges of bribery, fraud and breach of trust.

The formal request for a pardon is a reversal for the long-time Israeli leader, who has said the indictments would collapse and that he would prove his innocence in court.

“Faced with the security challenges and diplomatic opportunities currently before the State of Israel, I am committed to do everything in my power to heal the rifts, achieve national unity, and restore public trust in the state’s institutions,” Netanyahu wrote, “and I expect all branches of government to do the same.”

The opposition were quick to criticize the request from Netanyahu who has faced accusations of stoking rifts within Israeli society – against the Arab population and the left in particular – as well as prolonging the war in Gaza for his own political gain.

Yair Lapid, the leader of Israel’s opposition, urged Herzog to reject the pardon request, at least in its current form. “You cannot grant Netanyahu a pardon without an admission of guilt, an expression of remorse, and an immediate withdrawal from political life,” Lapid said in a video statement.

Head of the left-wing Democrats party Yair Golan said on X, “Only someone guilty asks for a pardon. After eight years of trial, when the cases against him have not collapsed, Netanyahu is now asking for a pardon.”

But Netanyahu’s political allies came out in favor of the pardon. Far-right Minister of National Security Itamar Ben Gvir supported the request, saying in a statement it is “critical for the security for the security of the state.”

Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump once again weighed in on the case with his own letter to Israel’s president, asking for a pardon for arguably his most vocal international cheerleader.

“I hereby call on you to fully pardon Benjamin Netanyahu, who has been a formidable and decisive War Time Prime Minister, and is now leading Israel into a time of peace,” Trump wrote in a letter distributed by the Israeli president’s spokesperson.

CNN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING