24.2 C
Accra
Monday, August 17, 2026

National Security takes over 30 ambulances parked at Burma Camp for refurbishment

Date:

- Advertisement -
30 ambulances that have been at the centre of a long-running controversy over their fitness for purpose have been handed over to National Security for refurbishment and possible integration into Ghana’s national emergency response fleet.

The 30 vehicles, which had been parked at the Ghana Air Force Base at Burma Camp in Accra for several years, were formally handed over at the weekend by the Ministry of Health (MoH), in collaboration with the National Ambulance Service (NAS).

The 30 ambulances were originally procured under a 2012 contract at a cost of about €3.5 million as part of an initial batch of 200 vehicles intended to improve ambulance services in the country.

Also read: Front Pages: Top newspaper headlines for Monday, August 17th, 2026

However, their arrival triggered controversy over whether they were properly equipped and fit for use as medical emergency vehicles.

The vehicles became the subject of a legal dispute after concerns were raised about their condition and the absence of essential equipment and safety features.

Former Health Minister Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, who assumed office in 2017, testified in court that the vehicles imported for the National Ambulance Service were defective and had been supplied as improperly fitted Sprinter buses rather than fully functional ambulances.

He argued that the vehicles were not fit for purpose because they did not have the necessary equipment and accessories required for emergency medical operations.

His predecessor, former Health Minister Alex Segbefia, however, disputed that position.

Mr Segbefia maintained that the vehicles could have been made fit for purpose if the accessories required to complete their conversion had been cleared from the Tema Port.

The controversy subsequently became part of a prosecution case handled by the Attorney General.

According to the National Ambulance Service, the latest handover followed legal clearance from the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Justice, which authorised the Ministry of Health to retrieve and assess the vehicles for potential operational use.

The NAS said an initial assessment had already been conducted by the State Transport Company (STC), with further technical inspections expected to establish the roadworthiness of the vehicles and determine the extent of refurbishment required.

National Security will oversee the refurbishment process before the vehicles undergo the necessary technical and roadworthiness assessments.

The ambulances will only be cleared for operational deployment after they have successfully passed the required checks.

The National Ambulance Service said the handover forms part of broader efforts by the government to recover and restore available emergency response assets and strengthen the Service’s operational capacity.

It said the addition of the vehicles, once refurbished and certified for use, could significantly increase the national emergency ambulance fleet and improve the capacity to provide timely pre-hospital emergency care.

The Service said the refurbished ambulances are expected to enhance its ability to respond to medical emergencies and transport patients safely and promptly across the country.

The formal handover was attended by the Legal Adviser to the Minister for Health, Abubakar Mutiu-Rahaman; the Board Chairman of the National Ambulance Service, Nana Baffour Kotei Kutin Sraman II, the Bremanhene; NAS Chief Executive Officer Dr George Kojo Owusu; and representatives of National Security and the Ghana Armed Forces.

The keys to the 30 ambulances were subsequently presented to a representative of National Security, who will oversee the refurbishment process.

The vehicles are expected to return to the national emergency response system only after the refurbishment and certification processes have been completed.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING