26.2 C
Accra
Monday, August 17, 2026

‘Bawku will bounce back’ — Mahama announces GH¢1bn Revitalisation Fund

Date:

- Advertisement -
President John Dramani Mahama has announced a GH¢1 billion Bawku Revitalisation Fund for Bawku to support the reconstruction, development and economic recovery of Bawku Municipality and its surrounding communities.

The President announced on Thursday, August 14, 2026, during the Resetting Ghana Citizens’ Engagement in Bolgatanga as part of his two-day working visit to the Upper East Region.

President Mahama said the fund would support efforts to restore economic activity in Bawku, improve infrastructure and facilitate the movement of residents.

Also read: Cameroon beats Malawi to win Women’s Africa Cup of Nations for the first time

“I promise one billion cedis for the Bawku Revitalisation Fund. I’m happy to announce that next week I’m inaugurating the committee,” he said.

He added that some projects had already commenced ahead of the inauguration of the committee that will oversee the fund.

President Mahama welcomed what he described as relative calm in Bawku and expressed optimism that sustained peace would allow the municipality to regain its position as one of Ghana’s major commercial centres.

He said the return of peace could also encourage residents who fled the area during the conflict to return home.

“Bawku is finally calm. The guns have stopped sounding, and people are beginning to go about their business,” he said.

“I believe that if this peace continues, Bawku will bounce back to its original glory as a major commercial area of our country. And a lot of the people who left will come back. Teachers left, health professionals left.”

According to the President, the conflict had also affected the deployment of essential personnel to the municipality.

He said nurses, doctors and national service personnel were reluctant or unable to accept postings to Bawku because of security concerns.

“Indeed, last year, we couldn’t post national service people to Bawku because of the fighting. We couldn’t post doctors to Bawku because of the fighting.”

President Mahama expressed hope that continued peace would restore confidence among public-sector workers and allow Bawku to rebuild its social and economic infrastructure.

The President also commended traditional authorities, residents and security personnel for their contributions towards maintaining the relative peace in Bawku.

He specifically praised the Inspector-General of Police and other security agencies for what he described as significant improvements in security across the Upper East Region.

President Mahama said incidents of motorbike snatching, armed robbery and other criminal activities had reduced considerably.

He stressed that maintaining the peace would be essential to Bawku’s long-term recovery and its return to economic prominence.

President Mahama’s announcement formed part of his two-day “Resetting Ghana” working visit to the Upper East Region from August 13 to 14, 2026.

The tour included inspections of key infrastructure projects, commissioning of public facilities, engagements with traditional authorities and residents, and interactions aimed at expressing gratitude to communities in the region for their support during the 2024 general election.

The GH¢1 billion Bawku Revitalisation Fund is expected to provide additional support for infrastructure and development initiatives as government seeks to restore economic activity and public services in the municipality.

With peace gradually returning to Bawku, the government’s challenge will now be to translate the improved security situation into sustained economic recovery, the return of displaced residents and improved access to essential services.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING