Cristiano Ronaldo has given his clearest indication yet that his extraordinary football career could be coming to an end, revealing that the current season is “probably my last year” in the sport.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the revelation in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, August 16, 2026, saying he wants to leave behind a “spectacular legacy” when he eventually retires.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.
The statement represents Ronaldo’s strongest indication so far that retirement could come at the end of the 2026/27 season, although he stopped short of announcing a definitive retirement date.
Also read: Cedi long overdue for security refresh – Mahama
Ronaldo, who currently plays for Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr, said he has already started planning for life beyond professional football.
“I have my future all mapped out,” he told Vogue, adding that he expects to keep himself occupied through travel, family time and his love for padel.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner acknowledged that leaving football could create a significant void in his life after spending about 25 years at the highest level.
He said he intends to find different ways to fill that space while enjoying the rewards of his long career.
The comments come shortly after Ronaldo married his longtime partner, Georgina Rodríguez, in an intimate ceremony in Portugal. The couple recently shared details of their wedding with Vogue.
Ronaldo had already confirmed that the 2026 FIFA World Cup would be his final appearance at the tournament.
Portugal were eliminated by Spain in the round of 16, with Ronaldo scoring three goals during the competition. Following Portugal’s exit, he declined to give a precise timeline for his retirement from international and club football.
His latest comments, however, suggest the end of his playing career could now be much closer.
Ronaldo previously said he expected to continue playing for another one or two years, but his latest admission represents a significant shift towards a likely retirement at the conclusion of the current campaign.
Ronaldo began his professional career at Sporting CP before moving to Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus. He joined Al Nassr in January 2023.
His nine-year spell at Real Madrid proved particularly prolific. He scored a club-record 450 goals in 438 appearances for the Spanish giants.
Across a career spanning more than two decades, Ronaldo has won five Ballon d’Or awards and established himself as one of the most decorated and prolific players in football history. Reuters reports that he has scored 976 goals for club and country, putting him within reach of the landmark 1,000-goal mark.
He has also won major trophies with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus, Portugal and Al Nassr.
Despite his remarkable list of achievements, a World Cup title remains absent from his honours.
Ronaldo’s latest comments raise the possibility that the football world is entering the last year of one of its most remarkable careers.
At 41, the Portuguese superstar is still pursuing goals with Al Nassr, but his decision to begin planning for life after football suggests he is increasingly preparing for the moment when the game will no longer be part of his daily routine.
For a player who has spent a quarter of a century competing at the highest level, Ronaldo appears determined to make his final season count.
And if his latest prediction proves correct, the football world may have only one more season to watch one of its greatest-ever players in competitive action.

